Friday, September 4, 2009

Lesson Learned - Do you know the facts about progesterone?

So many of you out there are like myself.
You love being Momma.
There's nothing like feeling a baby's first kicks within the womb,
(and of course the "conceiving" with your husband is nice too!)

But I love the whole experience!
Time with my husband
Conceiving
First heartbeats
First kicks
The flood of joy when the baby is delivered!
And holding that new baby...........
Watching them grow, change, learn and live!
It's the best job in the world!

I'm called to be Momma and I love it!
Even on those days that seem so long, I realize how blessed I am to have four beautiful healthy children.
Thank you Lord for the blessing of my children.

This past summer, I learned a hard lesson.
When it comes to my health and monthly cycles, I'm usually consistent.
Every 28 days, that visitor knocks on my door.

Back in the Spring, this family had some big changes.
We moved into our new home, and at the same time there were some extended family issues that combined with all that was going on with the move and settling in, made life extremely stressful for me.

I should have given it all to God, laid it all at His feet and walked away. I didn't do that.
I let it get to me......and my health suffered.
In May, my cycle was only 26 days.
In June, 25 days.

I wanted more children.
I wasn't ready for this peri-menopause, pre-menopause.
I'm not ready to shut that door.

So, I did what probably most of you do too, I began looking for answers and way to fix things.
I made an appointment with my OB/GYN, but I couldn't get in for almost two months.
This was June and I couldn't get in to see my doctor until July 24.
I struggle with patience. No! I want it fixed now!

So I turned to ever faithful internet and forums and groups for answers.
Here's what I found, and what I did.
I bought vitamins and started taking
Prenatal Vitamins
B-Complex
Folic Acid
Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc
Iron

I also read about Vitex/Chasteberry, a supplement to help improve fertility. I was taking it too on days 1-14,
and then to to top it all off, I read about using natural progesterone cream on days after ovulation to extend the fertile period. So, I was doing that too. I'd stop the Vitex on day 14 and start using the cream on all my pressure points day 14-21, but I would stop using the cream on day 21 to wait and see if a cycle would come or to see if I was pregnant. I was determined to get back to normal 28 day cycles and get pregnant again!

What joy I experienced July 10, 2009 when my pregnancy test read postive!!!!!
Yea!! Thank you God! #5! Oh my goodness!!! I was elated!
It worked!
I was healed!
I was pregnant and all was well!

I continued to take the vitamins but no longer used the Vitex or progesterone cream. I didn't need it anymore. I was pregnant.

On Saturday night, August 8, 2009, I began spotting.
I had never experienced this before, but I knew what it was.
I was 8 weeks pregnant.
Maybe I had just over done it that day. Maybe if I slow down and rest............
After church Sunday, things began to get worse.
I called the doctor. They told me to go to the ER.
I spent the afternoon in the ER. They examined me, took blood, ran sonograms.

The sonogram showed a sac at 5 weeks, not 8 weeks, no heartbeat.
Monday night, God allowed everything to happen naturally.

Tuesday, as I began sharing with all of you on groups and forums,
some of you knew what I did not..............

If you use progesterone to help regulate your cycles and you become pregnant, you must CONTINUE using progesterone until week 14 of your pregnancy. At that point, the body should begin making the progesterone on its own. I DIDN'T KNOW!!!!!!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was my fault.............

I was being so selfish, so determined. I didn't leave it in God's hands. I took it into my own hands, and my lack of knowledge...................... I caused this.......................

The grief, at first was overwhelming.
If I had just waited for God or maybe the doctor and God working together.
I should have never taken the Vitex or used the cream. I had no business trying to do this on my own!

Some of the facts I've learned.......
Progesterone is the hormone that helps build, nurture and establish the Uterine wall for implantation of an egg. Each month, after ovulation, your body slows the production of progesterone. If you are pregnant, normally the levels will stay a little higher and begin increasing. If you are not pregnant, the levels continue dropping until a monthly cycle occurs.

If you are using progesterone creams or supplements and abruptly stop, your body receives a signal that it's time for a monthly cycle, pregnant or not, your body registers that progesterone production has stopped, and it's time for a cycle.

This is also what happens with birth control pills. Days 1-20 of birth control pills contain a level of progesterone, but days 21-28, when you take the placebo or no pill at all, the body is signaled that it's time for a cycle. YOU CAN GET PREGNANT ON THE BIRTH CONTROL PILL!!!!!

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar talk about this in their book, " Twenty and Counting." After they had Joshua, they decided to wait awhile before having more children. She conceived while taking the pill and had a miscarriage. they too, were informed the truth about the effects of progesterone. You can get pregnant on the pill, but even if you get pregnant, as soon as those progesterone levels drop below a certain level, you are going to have a cycle, pregnant or not.

They grieved!! I grieved!!
Lord, we are so sorry.
We should have left it all in your hands.

I rejoice with the Duggars as they have announced that #19 is due March 2010.
The Lord has blessed them so for trusting in Him.
May God get all the glory!

Where do I go from here?
I've asked God and my husband to forgive me.
I should have left it all in God's hands.
I should have been more respectful and honoring to both God and my husband,
I should have been submissive.
I should have been patient.

For all of you out there considering using Vitex and Progesterone Creams to help you get pregnant, or if you are currently using these things............. Please take my story to heart.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Roman 8:28 NIV

I'm laying everything at God's feet.
May He alone get the Glory,
Amy

5 comments:

Fruitful Harvest said...

Oh Amy! (((HUGS))))
I will pray for healing!

Warmly,
Georgiann

mama to 11... :) said...

Im so sorry Amy. I just went through a miscarriage at 15.4 weeks due to a partial molar pregnancy. Still dealing with the after effects of that. :o( I will be praying for you.

tha momma said...

Amy, i'm not super wise or anything, but let me offer my perspective. I think that God honored your desire to conceive with a child you'll never see until after Jesus returns. I think He did that because, for reasons that only He knows, it wasn't a good time for you to have another one. I miscarried in April and that's actually what drew my attention to progesterone. Since my body isn't healthy enough to keep a pregnancy, i pray that God will use the progesterone to get me back into balance. Once i'm healthy enough to conceive and maintain, who knows?...only God. I'm sure it displeases God for people to try to prevent life that He would try to create, and it's definitely no good for us to take things into our own hands so much(as i am quite prone to do), but i doubt it's so wrong for you to simply want another little darling to hold. You're calling good what God calls good. I'm sure that pleases Him.

psalm127 said...

Hi Amy, Oh I know the pain. I just had my second misscarriage at the end of March. Thanks for sharing what you found out. This is good for all of us to know.

Shavon said...

I agree with tha momma. I had a miscarriage at 13 weeks. The ultrasound showed my uterus was sized for a 8-10 week pregnancy. I was very downhearted as it was my second loss and I had prayed and was in faith for that conception and the pregnancy. And I believe God granted my desire for the baby, but I was not allowed to hold and raise him/her. I will see both sweet babies in eternity. God blessed me to conceive those babies. They are real and I have 5 children that will live forever, not three. God will comfort you and he is faithful to reveal your little one to you when Christ returns.