Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Winter Time Comfort Food Recipes : New Year's Day Black Eyed Pea Broccoli CheeseSoup

As the weather outside gets colder, my thoughts go to hot chocolate, hot soups, cornbread, chili and crackers.
Are you with me?
Here are some of my favorite winter time recipes.
Consider doing this one for New Year's Day. You might want to substitute cabbage for broccoli if you are from the south.


Black Eyed Pea Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ingredients :
  • 1 pound of ground beef, browned and drained
  • 1 (12 ounce) can of black eyed peas, drained
  • 1 cup of chopped onions
  • 1 (12 ounce) can of creamed corn
  • 1 cup of cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup of cooking oil
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 2 chopped jalapeno peppers
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 pound package of frozen or fresh broccoli ( or fresh green cabbage pieces)
  • 2 cups of water
Directions :
  1. In a medium to large pot, boil the broccoli in the two cups of water.
  2. Then add one ingredient at a time starting with the ground beef down to the cheddar cheese on the ingredient list. Stir between ingredients.
  3. Let everything simmer together for about thirty minutes before serving,
Serve with hot buttered cornbread.
I also like to eat fried okra with my black eyed peas. Try it!

2 comments:

Chris from CT said...

I had broccoli cheese soup today for lunch! - no Black Eye Peas, tho. I wonder what I missing?fermetia

Chris from CT said...

PS - I just scrolled thru your blog and saw all the deelish soup recipes. Hold the door open for me, I will be there in time for lunch tomorrow!